Friday, September 12, 2008

Cincinnati Chili

Ever since I first ate Cincinnati chili at a Skyline Chili restaurant a few years ago, I've been on a quest to find one that suits my family.

Now, I'm not sure if this recipe tastes exactly like the Skyline Chili you get at the restaurants, but we sure like it!

The recipe is from the cookbook photoed below: Think Thin Pasta by Sue Spitler. It's got some great recipes, the pages are quite food stained, proof that I use the book often.

Cincinnati Chili Sauce

12 oz ground turkey (or ground chicken, I've used both)
1/2 cup chopped onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce (on occasion I've used 4 oz tomato paste mixed with 4 oz water)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves (I've also subbed with Italian seasonings some times)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
1 teaspoon ground allspice*
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon cocoa*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

*these three ingredients are crucial to the overall unique taste of this chili

Cook turkey in saucepan over medium heat until browned, 5-8 minutes. Remove turkey from pan, drain and crumble. Drain excess fat from pan.

Add onions and garlic to pan and saute until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in turkey and remaining ingredients, heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.



I usually serve this over spaghetti in the traditional Cincinnati chili fashion; offering shredded cheese (sharp cheddar is my favorite) and chopped raw onions. I also like a dollop of sour cream atop the mound.

The leftovers are great with/without the pasta and also make a yummy hot dog sauce.

Tastes delicious and since ground turkey/chicken is used, the recipe could be considered healthy?! If you use lowfat shredded cheese, and if you use a non-fat sour cream....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It actually worked with the Turkey.

Blog Archive